Saturday, September 17, 2011

Plum Delicious (and a recipe)

One of the best thing about Autumn is the day my friend Mary from The Thrill of the Hunt, calls to tell me that her three Italian prune plums are ripe! This year there was a real "bumper crop". I brought home 20 pounds. I freeze them to enjoy all year. My favorite way to use them is in a plum tart. I rarely use recipes when I cook, and I really don't have a recipe for this tart, but I'll show you how I make it.


















 Plum Tart
Crust:
Preheat the oven to 425

 Measure 2¼ cups of all purpose flour into a bowl.
Add 1 teaspoon salt.

Measure ¾ cup of salad oil. ( I like sunflower or canola)
 
Fill the cup to the 1cup mark with water.

Stir with a fork until emulsified.

Pour into flour and stir until it comes together.

Next roll out between two sheets of waded paper - no substitutes will do.

Place dough in your baking pan, Crimp edges, patching as needed. It looks pretty in a round tart pan, too.

Pre-bake for about 5 minutes.

Assembly of the tart
Remove tart from the oven and dust the bottom with powdered sugar. If your plums are ripe and sweet, adjust the amount of sugar to suit your taste.
Now dust the sugar with cardamom to taste.

Arrange the halved, pitted plums in an attractive way, overlapping.

Sprinkle with more powdered sugar and more cardamom.

Melt about a ¼ cup of butter and drizzle over the tart.

Lower the oven to 375〫and bake for about an hour. Let the tart cool to room temperature.

...And here is the finished tart. It is going to a party this afternoon. Mary's having a birthday party for several members of her family- all September babies!


Happy Birthday Everybody!



Joining:
Common Ground
 and





Boogieboard Cottage

Smiling Sally












11 comments:

Jane said...

Looks wonderful! I have not cooked with plums...this is a recipe I NEED to try! Thanks for sharing...
Jane (artfully graced)

***Please stop by for a visit..and for my giveaway...a Gasparilla Cookbook. It's one of my favorites!

CraveCute said...

Found you from the Pinning and Singing link! I love plums, there just aren't enough good recipes for them. Very happy to have a new one to try! Your song pick is truly Beautiful! I don't remember it from the movie. Sometimes the most lovely songs play during the credits when few are paying attention! I am following your blog now, lovely! ~Diane

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

What COLOR they have!!!! I wanted to say thank you for your kind words on the birth of my baby boy!
Come on by, I am doing a give away to celebrate!
Merci encore!
Amitiés,
Angela, Parisienne Farmgirl

SmilingSally said...

Yum!

Happy Blue Monday to you, Priscilla!

Chubskulit Rose said...

How yummy, can I have some please hhehehe.

My Jolly Blues

Pondside said...

The tart looks like the ones my friend in Germany made, so many years ago. Our plum tree did very poorly this year - but there's always next year!

Unknown said...

we don't have plums here--so this plum tree with fruits is fascinating to me.:p your tarts look delicious!

Jeanne said...

Wow, the plums are wonderful and your plum tart awesome. The video sure took me back to that movie. sigh! Sad but wonderful.
Hugs, Jeanne

Mary @ Framed and Tagged said...

They are such a beautiful color!
That tart looks yummy!! We had a bumper crop of peaches this summer and they were so good.

I'm your newest follower and would love for you to follow me.
Have a wonderful day!!

The Charm of Home said...

What a great job you did on that! Thank you for linking up with Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love plums and this looks great and yummy! Thank you for the recipes and for coming by and leaving me such generous comments about my post of Quito. Lots of hugs, FABBY

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...