Monday, September 12, 2011

Air Kissed Apples

If you don't know Lara's blog, Air Kiss, you are in for a treat. 

She graciously allowed me to share her post from today:

Weekend Apple Picking at the Orchard, Apple & Fennel Salad



Our autumn weekends are always a whirlwind of outdoor activities. There is just so much to see and do. It has already started up. I am munching on a delicious, fresh apple and fennel salad with the apples we picked on Saturday afternoon. You can use granny smith apples, if you prefer a tart and sweet bite. But there were barely any granny smith apples to be found, so I used various red varieties. Recipe below.

photos taken at Knutson's apple orchard, Illinois

The apple orchard has a pretty "willow tree island" that the kids had fun hanging out at after picking apples and gathering that oh-so-interesting-to-young-children milkweed. My kids are 15 months apart - I love having them so close in age!


It is warm and beautiful out today & I am just getting things back in order around here after a busy weekend. We went to two flea markets, an old time car show, a conservatory, and grocery shopping. My husband is home sick from work today. I have been in the kitchen, making chili and slicing up apples.

I'll be back soon to share the goods - I flea market'ed my heart out last weekend! :-)


Apple & Fennel Salad
from Michael Smith/Chef at Home

For the Vinaigrette:
2 granny smith apples, quartered and cored.
1 cup of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 heaping tbsp of Dijon mustard
1 cup of olive oil
Salt and pepper

For the Salad:
1 bulb of fresh fennel, sliced thinly and fronds reserved
1 granny smith apple, sliced thinly

To make the vinaigrette - place 2 granny smith apples, cider vinegar, brown sugar and mustard in a small saucepan and cook until soft. Puree with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Put the sliced fennel, fennel fronds and sliced granny smith apple in a large salad bowl and toss with a few spoonfuls of the warm apple vinaigrette.

I made this for dinner  this evening. It was delicious.  

3 comments:

Sarah said...

What gorgeous images. Makes me feel as if I were there picking apples myself. Thanks for sharing. An apple a day - I eat apples all year long. Best to you ~ Sarah

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

I love your photos. You have a really good eye. I can almost smell them from here! And coupled with that delicious sounding recipe, I am in foodie heaven!!

I've signed up to follow you!

Sarahx

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Sorry for bombarding you with comments but had to say WOOOOOOW! You Suffolk book is completely amazing. You wrote AND illustrated it? Is there no end to your talents?!!

Sarahx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...