Saturday, March 03, 2012

National Anthem Day


In August 1814, the British army detained Dr. William Beanes as a prisoner of war. He was a friend of Francis Scott Key. On Sept. 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key and a U.S. negotiator boarded a British vessel where Beanes was being held. He negotiated his friends' release. But then, Francis Scott Key was detained that day along with the negotiator. They were held until after the attack on Fort McHenry, which guarded the harbor and city of Baltimore.
He watched the bombardment of the fort from the ship. The next morning, he was ecstatic to see that the American flag was still flying over Fort McHenry

Ft. McHenry


This historic event inspired Francis Scott Key to write "The Star-Spangled Banner" the following day (September 14, 1814).During this time, American colonists often sang Key's lyrics to the tune of a popular British drinking song titled "The Anacreontic Song."

The tune soon became a well-known patriotic song that represented America's strength and endurance during trying times. However, it was not until March 3, 1931 that the Star-Spangled Banner was designated by Congress as the National Anthem of the United States.

With a range of one and a half octaves, the anthem is known for its difficulty. I love to hear it sung well, but I want to silence the no-talent yabos who warble off key and make up their own tunes because they can't sing, or forget the words. I wish the organizations who ask people to sing before their event would ask only people who can actually sing. And while I'm on the subject of disrespect, for goodness sake, you cowboys, take off your stupid caps and hats during the national anthem, and shut up and sing!

5 comments:

Pondside said...

After two military postings in the USA I know your anthem by heart, and can manage all the notes, but it is the most difficult anthem to sing. Why, oh why do those invited to sing it before large crowds always feel the need to 'jazz it up'? There is dignity in an anthem and I consider the terrible dropping of syllables and adding of notes to be disrespectful.

Priscilla said...

Thank you! It takes a Canadian to teach us manners!
Even the president wasn't courteous enough to put his hand over his heart. After he was duly criticized for refusing to do so he has begun to show a small act of patriotism.

Leslie said...

Sometimes I get chills when I hear our national anthem. Fort Mchenry is not far from me... been there a ton of times, it is a very cool place to see.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this. I love patriotic things. ;-)

Decor To Adore said...

When the anthem is sung well I never fail to get tears in my eyes. Tell those yahoo's to stand up too. :)

Thank you SO very much for your prayers my friend.

I'd love for you to pop by for a visit. I am hosting a $50 Kirklands Giftcard Giveaway.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...