Friday, November 11, 2011

An American Patriot

We hadn't been married long when my husband, Jack was deployed to Na Trang, Viet Nam with his dog, Felix. He had had an older dog, Pat, but was given a new dog to train with which was much younger, and more fit. He came home, and we settled down and started a family. He had always hoped he could to return, but sadly, he died before Americans could visit the country. It was a beautiful place and he enjoyed meeting the people. He loved the french food, especially the bread. Being a Californian, he missed his favorite Mexican specialties, such as tamales and chile. We sent him canned things (not the best, but better than nothing).
He was justifiably proud of his service. He was a great American patriot. I honor him on this day, and always.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

A sweet tribute! Thanks for sharing this about your Jack. My husband, his twin brother, and my older brother all served during the VN War. I honor each of these special men and all the others who have served our country.

Pondside said...

How you must miss him. My uncle was in Vietnam for two tours, and both times my aunt brought the children home to Canada to have the support of family.
So much sacrifice.

Cindy Rose said...

A very nice tribute indeed. Thanks for sharing that!

Barbara said...

Must have been a hard time when just married.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I just scrolled down to check some other posts. I'm so sorry you've lost your husband. My husband was stationed in Na Trang in 1971. laurie

KathyB. said...

Oh, what a sweet and sad tribute.My father was in Vietnam too at that time, but he came home to us.It is hard for me to read articles or watch shows about that time of our history because I dissolve into tears about so much of that time, and I don't like to cry in front of anyone.

Our oldest son was in the Marines( guess once a Marine, always a Marine ) and did 2 tours in Iraq. He too came home, but lost brothers in arms. War is so terrible, especially when the loss is deeply personal.Yes, thank-you to all the veterans !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...