Monday, October 17, 2011

Roast Turkey Breast

 With the mornings crisp and chilly, I begin to long for Thanksgiving - my favorite holiday. I love turkey, so not wanting to wait another month, I bought a little turkey breast to roast. I'll have some nice sandwiches and salads. I'll freeze some for later.
Turkey Breast
I picked some sage, thyme, and rosemary from my herbs. I use my french salt, butter, and celery to add to the flavor.
Ready for the oven











I let it come to room temperature to allow for even cooking. I placed it in a small roasting pan and tented it with aluminum foil sprayed with Pam. I placed it in a slow oven (325℉) for about 2½ or 3 hours.




I basted it several times during the last hour of cooking.
I removed the foil allowing the skin to brown nicely.




 
Not quite ready




Time to start checking the internal temperature with my instant thermometer.  No, not ready. So, back it goes, after another basting, for a little more time in the oven.
Oh, is it beginning to smell delicious. Mmmmm.


Finished!









Now the temp is 180〫.  Time to let it rest so it will slice nicely. Look at that rich juice. I could make gravy, but this time, I'll cool it and freeze it for use later.
After removing the cooked meat from the bones, I used them, along with the skin and some aromatic vegetables, to make a rich turkey broth. In my opinion, one of the best parts of roasting a turkey.

Yummy turkey, lettuce, mayo on whole wheat.

5 comments:

Pondside said...

Mmmmmm indeed! I believe I could smell that wonderful turkey aroma!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Yummy!!!! I have never coked a turkey before in my life, and I truly am a good cook. I might try it one day soon!

CraveCute said...

I am now in the mood for turkey! Think I will pick a turkey breast this week. They are great for a small family or guests. Thanks for you great tips and pictures!

Richard Cottrell said...

Nothing i love better than fresh baked turkey, I can smell and taste it. Thanks for stopping by, My Old Historic House and making the nice comment about ms. Blackamoor. Richard

Adrienne said...

I prefer turkey breasts. Hate dealing with a bunch of left-over bird bones.

Yours looks tres yummy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...