Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ship's Cup

When my grandfather was a young man, he was an structural engineer with the SantaFe Railroad.
My grandfather, Paul H Elgin, May 1903

He designed roundhouses.
Roundhouse, USA

Roundhouse, USA





























 Once he was sent to South Africa to supervise the building of a new roundhouse. When the project was finished, he and another fellow with whom he had become friends, traveled to England, via Palestine. The name of the ship is lost to our family history, but I have the cup he brought back. Since he died long before I was born and his wife, my grandmother, when I was only 4, I don't know much more about the trip. I do know they married shortly after his return.
My grandmother, Matilda Wetzlau Elgin

I know it isn't a tea cup, but I thought it was interesting all the same.


Linking to:






14 comments:

Antiques And Teacups said...

I think the cup is a real treasure...no wonder you have treasured it. I love ship's china. What stories could be told if cups could talk...
Ruth

Bunny Jean said...

What an interesting job that allowed you grandfather to travel like that. One of grandfathers was from the same era he and also worked for the railroad.

I like how you took the picture of the cup in the page showing the ship.

xoxo Bunny Jean

A Few Pennies said...

Amazing family history and love those vintage photos. Your little blue cup is precious.

Sarah said...

What a treasure and very interesting post.

Curtains in My Tree said...

Some people have a great history in the family and you do also.

Love the cup anything blue & white is wonderful in my life

Johanna Stålros said...

A lot of history, beautiful....Hug Johanna

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

This is such a great post! Love the old photos and the blue and white pieces.

xx
A

Bonnie said...

What an interesting story and a treasured cup. The photographs are a treasure too.

Babs said...

Love your post about your family history and the cup. It's nice to have a treasured piece from your grandfather.
Hugs,
Babs

Babs said...

Priscilla, I'm now your newest follower. Have a great weekend,
Babs

Lady Linda said...

Oh how fun to find your blog through Miss Spenser's Teacup Thursday. I am a NW person too...I live out in Troutdale Or. Love your lavender posts and will have to visit the farms you were able to enjoy.
Tell me more about who you write for as I enjoy history too.
Lady Linda

Pamela said...

Just wanted to stop by and invite you to Treasure Hunt Thursday formerly over at Blue Creek Home. Rhonda has passed it on to me and I would be honored for you to join us!:) Party starts at 8 pm central tonight!:)

MomWaldsPlace said...

What an incredible story! Actually, that may be the ship's tea cup. It would work better on a ship that you can actually feel the waves on.

Ruthie Miller said...

Well, I love to learn something new. As I started to read, I thought a roundhouse was a round house. How lucky you are to have the knowledge of your family. The cup is truly a treasure. Quite something that it survived all this time and was saved by your family. I just love it and the story! Thank you, Ruhtie from Lady B's Time for Tea

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...