Friday, March 11, 2011

Madeleines, fit for a king, or an author

Today I decided to make some madeleines. I have been wanting some ever since I read Martha's post on Lines from Linderhof about madeleines.  Lemon madeleins are my favorite. I used the Joy of Baking recipe with extra lemon essence and zest.
Madeleine Paumier is thought to be the young girl who presented the first known madeleines to King Louis XV of France. But it is Marcel Proust who brings it to the attention of the lovers of France and all things French, in his Remembrance of Things Past.

 

Madeleines
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup (133 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Note:  If you make miniature madeleines, reduce the baking time to about 7-9 minutes.


First, melt the butter and allow it to cool while you make the batter.
In a small bowl place the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until well blended.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar at medium-high speed until the mixture has tripled in volume and forms a thick ribbon when the beaters are lifted (about 5 minutes).  Add the vanilla and beat to combine.
Sift a small amount of flour over the egg mixture and, using a large rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the beaten eggs to lighten it.  Sift the rest of the flour over the egg mixture and fold in being sure not to over mix or the batter will deflate.
Wisk a small amount of the egg mixture into the melted butter to lighten it.  Then fold in the cooled melted butter in three additions.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or several hours, until slightly firm.
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).  Generously butter two 12-mold madeleine pans.  Dust the molds with flour and tap out the excess.  (Could spray pans with Bakers Joy instead - perfect for silicone pans.) (Make sure the pans are well greased or the madeleines will stick and be hard to remove.)
Drop a generous tablespoonful of the batter into the center of each prepared mold, leaving the batter mounded in the center.  (This will result in the classic "humped" appearance of the madeleines.) 
Bake the madeleines for 11 to 13 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the centers spring back when lightly touched.  Do not overbake these cookies or they will be dry.
Remove the pans from the oven and rap each pan sharply against a countertop to release the madeleines.  Transfer the madeleines, smooth sides down, to wire racks to cool.  The madeleines are best served the same day but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or frozen, well wrapped, for up to 1 month.
When serving dust with confectioners sugar.
Makes about 24 - 3 inch (8 cm) madeleines.
 



Last time I made these cakes, I used my new silicone pan. They didn't brown. This time, as you can see, they have nice brown edges and tops (actually the bottom). I placed the silicone pan on my air pocket cookie sheet. It seemed to work, and I think that will be my practice from now on. 


I've linked with Michael Lee West
at:

4 comments:

Inspired2cook said...

I love madeleines...soft, buttery and absolutely delicious!
http://www.inspired2cook.com

~Christina said...

Those madeleines look so delicious! I grew up eating Madeleines at home as my dad loved French cooking (and my Mom's side is French as well), they are so yummy with a nice cup of tea or coffee. :)

I notice you live in the Great NW, so do I! It's always fun to find another blogger from this area; I actually stumbled upon your page while reading Parisienne Farmgirl. :)

I think your blog is just lovely, thanks for sharing your fun pics and thoughts!

~Christina (Vancouver, WA)

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Your blog is a joy. What a wonderful, mouth-watering post!

MNUKGIRL said...

Hello from Portland, OR!! I am SO happy you found my blog! I absolutely LOVE yours! I love learning as much history about England/France, etc. as I can and I REALLY love baking!!! :) I'm SO excited to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!!! So excited to follow your blog! Thanks for following me! Say...I know one family who's lived in Portland for about 30+years....Gary Tranby. Ever heard of him! :) Guessing no, but just had to ask! :) Have a great Sunday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...